Computing Science Course Outlines

Course Outline - CMPT 829 - Special Topics in Bioinformatics

Information

Subject

Catalog Number

Section

Semester

Title

Instructor(s)

Campus

CMPT

829

G100

2016 Spring (1161)

Special Topics in Bioinformatics

Leonid Chindelevitch   

Burnaby Mountain Campus

Calendar Objective/Description

Examination of recent literature and problems in bioinformatics. Within the CIHR graduate bioinformatics training program, this course will be offered alternatively as the problem-based learning course and the advanced graduate seminar in bioinformatics (both concurrent with MBB 829).

Instructor's Objectives

This course will examine selected algorithmic approaches in current bioinformatics research. Topics will be selected from: de Bruijn graphs in genomics, biological data compression, probabilistic models (HMM, SCFG, and MRF), graphical models and Bayesian approaches, information-theoretic methods in bioinformatics, machine learning ideas and linear/integer/combinatorial optimization in bioinformatics. It assumes familiarity with basic bioinformatics, so CMPT 711 or equivalent is a prerequisite. Several guest lectures in the class will provide the opportunity to get exposed to cutting-edge research in bioinformatics.

Prerequisites

permission of the instructor.

Topics

  • Biological data compression
  • Probabilistic and graphical models
  • Information theory in bioinformatics
  • Machine learning in bioinformatics
  • Combinatorial optimization in bioinformatics

Grading

The research project, to be decided based on the student's particular interest in the first two weeks of classes, will be worth 60% of the course; the final exam will be worth the other 40%.

Academic Honesty Statement

Academic honesty plays a key role in our efforts to maintain a high standard of academic excellence and integrity. Students are advised that ALL acts of intellectual dishonesty will be handled in accordance with the SFU Academic Honesty and Student Conduct Policies ( http://www.sfu.ca/policies/gazette/student.html ).

Data Last Updated: